Friday, September 17, 2010

Worship Notes for Children

Since Kyle and I have become convicted that we should be providing the discipleship of our children (and not other children's parents), we have begun attending a family-integrated church and worshiping as a family. While keeping our children with us is definitely important to us, the focus of our worship is on Christ, not on having good little robotic children who can sit still better than anyone else's. (Quiet toys and frequent glares are generally used to train children in robotic behavior at church.)

In order to keep Christ the focus, we have tried out many ways to help our children attend and commit to memory what they learn on Sunday. I created this sheet for that purpose. If I do say so, it has worked very well. This week, I heard last Sunday's sermon referenced at least 3 times by the kids. For example:
When I set out cinnamon raisin biscuits for breakfast, Daniel reached to grab the biggest one. Isaac said: Uh uh, Daniel, remember what Pastor Jesse taught us? Treat others the way you want to be treated. (Matt. 7:12) You shouldn't get the biggest biscuit. You should get the smallest!
At which point I quoted the scripture Pastor taught a couple weeks ago: "How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when there is a log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye." (Matt. 7:4-5)


{giggle}

Here's the Kids Worship Notes. Feel free to share.

Update: Here's the new Big Kids Worship Notes.

8 comments:

Kidcraze said...

Ginger,

I love, love, love this!!!!!!!!!
What an awesome sheet to give the kids to help them focus. We are sooooo excited to use this on Sunday.
Thank you so much for generously sharing with your readers :)

Lis said...

Very creative! Thanks!

ASHTON said...

This is so wonderful! We currently do coloring books, but just because I don't want them to have to sit with their hands folded and feel tortured through the hour sermon. This will be so much better...

Stacy - midlifearmywife.com said...

Neat idea. That's great if they can all multitask like that! I know for me, if I had to focus on counting how many times I heard certain words, I'd never actually hear any of the message. But then, I'm not an auditory learner so it's hard for me to listen and do something like counting. For us, Emily colors or plays with Silly Putty while I read to her at home because she needs to keep her hands busy, and it doesn't require much "thinking" so she can focus on what I'm saying. I love the idea of having them draw a picture from the lesson! I'm going to have to borrow that :)

debhmom3 said...

I love this Ginger! Thank you so much for sharing!!

Robin said...

Thank you! I saved it for future use. What do you do with children who can't read yet? DS can't read the song words, he can't take notes, and the sermons are above his level of understanding.

Ginger said...

Stacy, they aren't supposed to be counting; they're just supposed to put a tally mark when they hear the word. They quickly pick up on the theme of the sermon that way. It actually helps them attend by giving them something to focus on.

Ginger said...

Robin, we don't expect our non-readers to take notes. They draw or color (not a coloring book, because then they're focused on the picture provided insted of on the sermon). We have learned that just having them present, they pick up a lot even when they don't appear to be paying attention. We talk to them about the sermon immediately after church when it's still fresh in their minds and they get the point of the sermon, even though they may not understand all the words. Because we have lots of children in the service, the pastor words his message in such a way that they understand it better and he also talks directly to them at times, i.e. "Husbands, you should treat your wives the way you want to be treated. Children, are you treating your brothers and sisters the way you want to be treated?, etc"