Tuesday, December 11, 2007

More is Better

I had an opportunity to encourage a fellow mom the other night. (I just LOVE doing that!) We were at a Women's Ornament Exchange at church. This friend of mine has a 2 year old daughter and just found out that SURPRISE she's expecting, and by the way it's twins. I could tell that she was a bit freaked out by the news, but doing the socially appropriate thing and not expressing her panic.
We are the biggest family in our church so far, and it is quite common for me to hear: "I don't know how you do it! I have a hard enough time with just my one!" Without fail, it is always the mother of a toddler who says this. In fact, nine times out of 10, their one child is a 2 year old. I always point this out to them: "But your one is only two. I have lots of helpers! You have one dependent child. It gets easier!"
I remember when Elena and Chloe were little (they're 18 mos. apart), I kept saying that it was going to be great when they were 4 and 5. I had a really hard time when they were little. And when they were 4 and 5, it DID get easier! Much easier, in fact.
I recently had someone comment that she could never home school; her kids need too much socializing, they'd get too bored. Honestly, since we adopted the triplets, none of my kids have ever complained of boredom. I shared this with my pregnant friend.
The women at my church frequently comment how amazed they are that I make it to church on time, and even look decent. They don't know how easy I have it. On Sunday mornings, all the kids get up and dress themselves. Isaac gets Daniel ready; Maya gets Lydia ready. I get myself ready. That's it. More kids is easier, not exponentially harder like people assume.

2 comments:

Nealy said...

We should be diligent to pray for all moms (and dads) on a daily basis: that they will have peace in their hearts about parenting; they will put their children's needs first over material things; they will pray for their own families; they will seek God's guidance in everything; they will seek wisdom and guidance to raise Godly children. Prayer changes things.

Jamie Wooddell said...

Funny! I was just telling someone that very thing yesterday. They look stunned when I say I want more children and I say, "but I already have two big helpers."
Keep encouraging those moms, G. We can plant the seeds, then pray that God will water them.