Monday, May 19, 2008

She Laughed At Me!

Sunday, we visited the church where Kyle and I met. We ran into several couples that we had known back in our College & Career days, one of whom we hadn't seen since that time. A lot has changed in 12 years. The mom, my old friend Sandra, introduced me to their 8 year old son and asked which kids were ours. I looked at the kids and said: "All these," with a big smile.
She started laughing and said, "You're funny. No really, all these?" and she's laughing like it's the funniest joke anyone's ever pulled on her. I smiled and said: "Well no, we have one more, but he's 20 and in New York right now." She starts laughing again and then very suddenly, stops.

Her expression turns deadpan.

"Are you guys doing foster care?"

"No."

Then she gets it. You could actually see her brain switch gears. "Oh my goodness, Ginger, that's exactly what you always said you wanted to do. You really adopted!"

That's the first time we've ever gotten that response and it was pretty entertaining. Wish you could've been there.

3 comments:

Leanne said...

LOVE That!! Awesome :)

The Herd said...

That would have been interesting...hmmm. Glad you had your head on straight to answer!

Roehrman said...

Too Funny!! Some days you just wish the video camera was on! I love that you could say that you didn't even have them all with you!