Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Problem with "Lord Save Us. . ."

I thought this was a good documentary that made a lot of good points. The primary one being that those who profess Christianity give it a really bad name by their very unChristian attitudes and behavior, i.e. condemning homosexuals instead of reaching out to them with the good news of the gospel. HOWEVER, his premise is wrong from the start. He assumes that all of those who call themselves Christians actually are. Going to church, calling yourself a Christian, saying a prayer, etc does not a Christian make. It is God alone who saves. Not us by our prayers and our decisions. When He saves us, He changes us. He makes us more Christ-like.
You will know a Christian by their fruit. By their compassion, humility, joy, mercy, and repentance.

2 comments:

debhmom3 said...

Hmmmm, well, I'm not sure I can agree with that Ginger. I don't think anyone has the right to judge where someone is with Christ based on what they do or don't do. If you believe that Christ was the Son of God and died on the cross and rose again, you are saved. I know sometimes my fruit is downright rotten and I'm sure because of it I've turned someone in my life off to the faith probably without even knowing it. I struggle with sin each and every day, and I really struggle with a sharp tongue. Though I am not always Christ like I certainly always am a Christian.

I do agree with you, though, that it is God alone who saves. Nothing we can do can save anyone. We can point them to the cross by our actions, but we cannot save them. Salvation is a free gift, not a decision.

The Holy Spirit is changing me daily still, though I've been a Christian my entire life. I think it will be a journey till I take my last breath.

Anyway, just my two cents. Maybe more like ten cents. ;)

Ginger said...

"Every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit.
A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit.
Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.
Therefore by their fruits you will know them.
-Matthew 7:17-20

Only Christians struggle with sin. NonChristians don't struggle at all. They love their sin.