Friday, July 17, 2009

The Silver Skates

We just finished reading this beautiful rendition of the children's classic. (I have come to love Bruce Coville as he writes childrens' picture books of many of the well known Shakespeare plays.) We all really loved the story of Hans Brinker, so of course we had to check out the movie. It's one of those "back when Disney was still good and decent" films. It was truly a treat. A very sweet family movie.

See if your library has them & let me know what you think.

2 comments:

Christy said...

My 8 year old daughter is reading the book right now. I will tell her there is a movie that we can get when she is done and that will motivate her to finish. Thanks for the suggestion!

MamaMahnken said...

Ooo, thanks for the recommendation! I had been wondering about whether to add this in to our lessons our not. I love the original book, and I love Coville's Shakespeare stories, so you'd think it'd be a no-brainner, huh? But I still wasn't sure. I will have to keep an eye out for the movie too. Our library doesn't do video, but I might be able to pick it up somewhere else. Glad to hear you're feeling better too!