Friday, April 9, 2010

Just Witnessed Reason #327

. . . to homeschool:

When a crossing guard isn't available.

We were going to meet a friend at the park and I had to drive through several school zones. (Why I decided to plan our playdate when the schools were letting out, I have no idea.) Driving down a six lane thoroughfare, I saw kids looking or not looking and making mad dashes across the busy street. Scared me to death to think of my own kids walking home from school totally on their own. There was a little boy, smaller than Chloe (so 7 years old tops) riding his tiny little bike across 6 lanes of traffic. He wasn't at an intersection.
AAAAACCCCKKKK!

3 comments:

MommaofMany said...

Throughout my several years working at public schools, I was aware of four or five kids getting hit after school. One student died. :(

MommaofMany said...

You are totally overprotective. First graders are capable of plying real-life Frogger everyday! /sarc

Unknown said...

Oh for crying out loud -- each day I take my dd to participate on the middle school track team. One intersection is horrible... I say, "cars and kids, cars and kids" each day to remind me to watch for them little buggers. ACK! I too had to walk home from school when I was young, but we DID have crossing guards... a real live human one... she had beautiful long black hair. LOL So glad my kids are only walking down the stairs to get to school -- much safer... if we have cleaned as we should. ;)