Friday, November 12, 2010

Keeping Perspective

I struggle with getting frustrated with my kids. That whole 2 part post on teaching children to think -- that was for me. I know that I need to do that, but I still struggle with frustration about why I have to do it. I want my kids to pick up the jacket instead of stepping over it. (Nevermind that plenty of 20-year-olds do the same.)
In the midst of a season of frustration, little reminders will pop up to remind me to focus on the big picture:
  • Three times in one day, I overheard Maya tell someone that I was her best friend
  • Lydia was running out the door, but stopped in her tracks, ran back to me to kiss me and say: "I love you and I think you're cute"
  • A perfect stranger comes up to me just to tell me my kids are polite
  • Isaac draws a picture of him hugging me, with a bubble above his head that says: You're the best mom ever
  • A friend tells me what a joy it is having my family over, because my kids are so well behaved
And suddenly I realize what a wretch I am for taking my sweet children for granted.

Today, focus on all the things your kids do right. See if it doesn't change your attitude.

2 comments:

Ben and April said...

Needed this reminder today! Thank you!

Nealy said...

Words of affirmation don't come naturally; criticism does. It's so hard to make the immediate response a word that doesn't come naturally. Michelle Duggar always tries to focus on finding something good to say. I think I'm going to hang words of affirmation around the house to remind me. BTW, your kids ARE extremely polite, and...I think you're cute, too! ;)