Friday, May 6, 2011

Why I'm Still Nursing Julia

I've had a few people seem quite surprised that I'm still nursing Julia at (Gasp!) 15 months. And especially since I'm pregnant.
Can I just tell you that I LOVE nursing my babies. I love holding their chubby soft bodies against me. I love that it is the one time I can get a good long hug from them. They're so quick to get down and play any other time, but when I'm nursing, they're still and quiet and syrupy sweet. And with my go, go, go personality, I really love that nursing slows me down.

With Julia, it has been a very different experience. She's my first baby since having a big family. With her, nursing is really the one and only thing that I alone can do. Her siblings want to feed her, they want to change her diapers, and get her dressed. Nursing is my quality time with Julia. I cherish it.

All my babies have nursed for at least this long. Lydia nursed the longest. She was just a couple months shy of two. If you've never nursed a baby past a year, let me just tell you, you're missing out! Nursing becomes so precious when you have a little communicator. When they stop nursing for a second, just to look at you and smile their thankfulness-- bliss! When they pull off and lean into you for a loving hug-- priceless!

I will miss these days when they're gone.

12 comments:

heartchild said...

Congratulations on expecting again!!!

Faith said...

:) I am so looking forward to this stage of nursing. I pray Canaan will keep going closer to 2 but we shall see! He shows absolutely NO sign of stopping anytime soon and I LOVE it. Thanks for sharing.

debhmom3 said...

I think it is wonderful to nurse your babies as long as possible. My arms ache for more babies to nurse, so I am always so joyful to see mothers who truly cherish the gift they have been given. Enjoy every second of all your precious babes!

Amanda W said...

What????? You're pregnant????? I do not believe that I missed the announcement as I read your blog faithfully! Congratulations!!!!

I have a baby boy almost the same exact age as Julia and I am pregnant as well, although I had to give up nursing at 10 months due to low milk supply. I would love to nurse longer but always start having problems about 8-9 mo. of baby's age. How do you keep your supply up doing Babywise?

Congrats, congrats again on the pregnancy. When are you due? :)

Ginger said...

Amanda,

I blogged the announcement on Monday this week. Faithful reader huh? :p

I don't know how I keep my supply up I guess. I drink Mother's Milk tea but not regularly. I think it's just body differences, not something I'm doing and you're not doing. I have terrible pain the first week after my milk comes in. I could nurse sextuplets then. It's a good thing, but man, don't hug me when you come to see my newborn! Ouch!! lol

Congrats on your pregnancy!!

Tereza Crump said...

hi there, I just subscribed to your blog. I have a post ready to go up for Mother's Day on breastfeeding. On the post I will be sharing how my breastfeeding relationship has changed over the years with each of my children. My youngest is 14 months and yes, I am nursing her and enjoying the bliss you talk about. :) thanks for spreading the word. Tereza

Amanda W said...

I went back and watched the photo album and saw the announcement! Pretty sneaky! :) When you posted it my internet connection was really slow and I meant to go back and watch since it was taking forever to download.

Congrats again! I am so excited for you guys! Wouldn't it be funny if it's a boy this time?

Ginger said...

Funny? No, it would be a miracle! :D

RobinC said...

Congrats on the new life within!!

I totally agree with you on the pleasures, for both mom and baby, of long-term nursing. Tandem nursing is an amazing experience as well.

Julia is such a doll:-).

The Pennington Point said...

Amen sista! You nurse that sweetie for as long as you can. Mine all nursed that long or longer. You are so right, it is a precious time. Lisa~

Angela said...

Congratulations!!! Most of mine weened themselves around 15 months. My youngest at 13, I was so sad...but he wouldn't take it anymore.
Enjoy your time with Julia!

~Stephanie said...

Congratulations! I've been buried in homestudy paperwork... LOL