Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Value of Good Friends


I am really blessed with good friendships. Friends who will call and ask forgiveness for saying something gossipy or for making a joke they shouldn't have. Friends who will lovingly and graciously let me know when I have said or done something I shouldn't have, as a Christian. Godly friends who build me up in my faith.
These kinds of friendships are precious.

There are many of those friends who you find always complaining about something or who it is just easy to be negative with. When you say something about your tacky mother-in-law, they sympathize with you and tell you how awful that is instead of pointing you to scripture and encouraging you to keep on being a blessing. Those friendships are a dime a dozen and they are not worth pursuing.

When you find a friend who is "iron sharpening iron" for you (Prov. 27:17), invest in their friendship. Don't let a week go by without checking in on them, asking how you can pray for them or finding ways to be a blessing to them. Most of all, stay in the Word of God so that you can build them up. That's what they need most from you. Not your words-- God's words.

You really do have to be a good friend to have a good friend. If you wait around for people to call you and pursue you, you will soon find yourself lonely and friendless.

Be a good friend.

2 comments:

NowinNE said...

Blessing! Thanks for the exhortation, Ginger.

Loretta

Debbie Fitts said...

Thank you for this Ginger! I read it a few days ago and the Lord has brought it to mind several times. We/I often think our close/"good" friends are the ones we can vent to. The Lord has been showing me lately that can often be slandering. I also tend to just listen to a friend and sympathize as they "vent". This has opened my eyes/heart. Thanks!