Tuesday, January 3, 2012

This Post is for Nicole W.

So you're posting nasty things about me on Facebook, saying a baby isn't a good enough reason not to blog? Hmmmph. I'm calling you out! Would you actually have said those things if I were really ON Facebook to read them? I think not!

(Lest anyone think I'm serious or seriously offended, I should say that no "nasty" things were actually said. I exaggerate.)

Everything on my mind (for those who desperately need something to read, no matter how boring):
  • I have a new man in my life and I'm in love. Judah is so adorable and so sweet and so perfect. I'm nuts about him.
  • I'm so happy that he's moved up to a 3 hour schedule. You have no idea. 2 hours was great for reducing certain unavoidable pains, but 3 hours feels like life can go on!
  • I've learned that my mind makes up problems to solve when I'm tired but can't sleep. The latest problem I've been dwelling on is what curriculum I should use to teach my kids to write well. Still haven't solved this one if you have any advice.
  • I'm back to couponing. Those 2 weeks off were great, but I missed it! CVS paid me $2 to take 8 Nivea chapsticks out of their store and I got 9 bottles of my hairgel for a little under $5 yesterday. That was fun!
  • Much to the thrill of my children I also brought home 27 boxes of cereal for $40 the other day. (Hey, when it's on sale, you stock up! Don't judge.) Elena brought her siblings out the trunk of the car with their eyes closed to surprise them. She said: "Don't scream! It's just for weekends." ha!
  • This week we're starting back to school. And by "we", I mean "they". I don't do much at this point, other than supervise.
  • The first day we didn't have dinner brought to us (which was 2 weeks straight, thank you church family!), Kyle took me on a date to a sushi restaurant that impressed us both. He still loves me, hormones and all.
  • My church friends are hosting a baby shower for me this Saturday. I'm a little fearful that my lack of recent socialization will result in logorrhea. I embarrass myself when I do that. Let's hope I can reign it in. But I CAN'T WAIT!

10 comments:

Mandie said...

You should be in love with your new little man, he is the cutest little guy!

I didn't know you were a couponer! Love couponing and nothing is better than a great cereal sale, my biggest purchase was 12 boxes but that was for a family of 5.

Welcome back to your blog!

A said...

We use Zaner Bloser traditional manuscript to teach handwriting.

http://www.zaner-bloser.com/node/106 is the link to their curriculum.

I promise, you will NOT be disappointed!

Blessings,
Allison
www.togiveafutureandahope.blogspot.com

Ginger said...

I didn't mean handwriting, I meant writing, as in: composition. ;)

Julie said...

LOL, Ginger, I was really scared for Nicole for a minute! I sure do miss you and your zany humor! Congrats on your sweet new man.

N-Sanity said...

I feel so blessed! Thank you, you've truly made my day after a rough couple weeks. :) :)
Judah is of course beautiful! I wish I could kiss those chubby cheeks of his.

As far as writing, I have the same problem with Courtney's LA curriculum
Its good for the basics like grammar and spelling but seriously lacking in comp. For now I've just given her lots of good books to read and different mapping exercises to do like charactermapping to help with writing a book report, using a Venn diagram as a pre writing exercise before a compare/contrast essay, ECT.

MommaofMany said...

LOL! Red *must* be feeling better!

As for creative writing, have you looked at Story Starters? http://www.amazon.com/Story-Starters-Helping-Children-Written/dp/188920904X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325729845&sr=8-1

dkt said...

I like Institute for Excellence in Writing (IEW). It's my favorite for actually 'teaching' writing--in other words, aquiring a new skill...not just handing out a story starter and expecting that a child would naturally know how to write like he learned how to walk. IEW is insistant that writing (both essay and creative) is a skill that can be taught and I like that!

Susan Wise Bauer also has an elementary writing course. I haven't used it myself, but I know others that really like it.

IEW can be started around 3rd grade and continued through high school. Bauer's would be a good 1st through 3rd grade program, from what I understand.

Your baby pictures are absolutely amazing...what a gift! Congratulations!

Debbie Fitts said...

Love to hear from you! Your humor is fun. Logorrhea made me snort my coffee, I have a daughter that suffers from that. ;)
Elena's quote about the cereal is great.
Glad your new love is doing 3 hours. That always made me feel almost human again. Would love new pics when you can. :)
As for writing, I like IEW mentioned above. I bought Bauer's Writing With Ease and am not loving it.
Have fun at your shower!

Tereza Crump said...

thank you for increasing my vocabulary. I have 2 daughters that have logorrhea and they compete at it too!!

Enjoy your baby!!

Ashley said...

My oldest is a 3rd grader, so I am not using a formal writing program at the moment. Next year though, I will be starting IEW with him. I have high hopes. I heard Andrew Pudewa speak at our homeschooling convention 3 years ago, and he was excellent. He was really funny.

I have several friends who are using IEW with their children and really like it.

Ashley