Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Winnie the Pooh

As part of a Charlotte Mason education, my children begin their schooling with Beatrix Potter and A.A. Milne. I admit that with my four big kids, I skipped Winnie the Pooh. So, with Daniel and Lydia I was determined not to miss it. I'm so glad I made that decision. I am LOVING Winnie the Pooh! It is so funny!

However, I've decided that Winnie the Pooh would be better suited for reading to bigger kids, and I plan to read it to my four soon. While my kindergartners enjoy it a lot, they don't appreciate the humor as much as I do.

If you homeschool, or even if you don't, don't let your kids escape childhood without a relationship with the genius of A.A. Milne. His humor in Winnie the Pooh, and whimsy in his poetry, really should not be missed.

You won't regret it.

2 comments:

MamaMahnken said...

I love Pooh too, for the very same reasons. And I do think it's better appreciated by older kids, as is Wind in the Willows...

MommaofMany said...

We tried WitW when my oldest was about 6. It didn't go so well. We haven't tried again. Pooh was tolerated by my olders, but never embraced. My youngest, though, loved the Pooh stories! He wants to read through them again.