Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Books, Books, Books


Phonics is the bane of my current existence. Elena is reading, Maya and Chloe are learning to read, and Isaac - well, poor Isaac - I just don't have time to teach one more child to read right now. (He'll have his turn next year.) I spend at least an hour a day on just phonics. Even though I love seeing their reading improve, I must be honest, this is my least favorite part of our day. Phonics lessons are one of the main vehicles God is using to teach me patience. However, it has gotten much easier since we received our Braum's Book Buddy packet. The kids can earn an ice cream cone for every 6 books they read. I won't let them earn more than one sticker a day (because I don't want to eat a year supply of ice cream cones in one month!), but they now ask if they can read a book. It's been a lot of fun! Patience is a learned skill, one I am now being rewarded for developing.

1 comment:

Christie McBride said...

Teaching phonics was something I did when I taught 1st grade, and by the time I was homeschooling my daughter, she already knew most of it.

I remember saying over and over to my students "tap and sweep!" (tap each sound, say each sound, and then sweep them together!)

Hang in there...the Braum's is sure to help them (and you, too!)