Monday, February 18, 2008

Bible or Magazine?

"You see them on the shelves at the store; they're made to look like those ubiquitous fashion magazine on the racks at every check-out counter. But what's different about this magazine is that it contains a full New Testament, that's interspersed with hormone-charged sidebars designed to "meet teenagers where they are at"...

Some of the most troubling content in the Biblezine is the "Blab" Q&A's. Here are a few more examples of the topics that get brought up as questions throughout this 'Bible':

  • I am 16, and I have slept with five guys. I am a Christian, but every time a guy wants me to have sex, it feels so good to be liked and wanted that I just do it. How can I stop?

  • I have a crush on one of my teachers. He's young, awesome, and so hot. What do I do?

  • How far can you go sexually before you are no longer pure?

  • My little sister has been totally hitting on my boyfriend, and it's really irritating. What can I do?

  • I'm not sure what qualities I should look for in the guy I want to marry - except for good looks and a hot body. Where should I start?

  • My parents have seen my boyfriend and me hug and kiss. Now they think we're going "too far". But we're really not. How can I get them to trust us? (the answer they gave involved "cutting down" on hugging and kissing, not stopping it).

  • My boyfriend and I just had sex for the first time. Now I feel guilty. I don't want to do it again, but he does. What can I do?
Read more about this new fashion Bible here.

10 comments:

Angela said...

It makes me uncomfortable.

I have paged through it at a local christian book store.

God bless...Angela

Anonymous said...

YIKES. Don't like this at all. There shouldn't have to be a replacement for the Bible. It was written for everyone, not just for adults who have gotten passed their uncomfortable teenage years. There's lots of great books out there to read to help teenagers to deal with issues. This sounds like modifying the Bible to relate to teens. I haven't actually seen this "biblezine" but it doesn't sound like something I would give my teenager. I hope that my kids will come to me or my wife if they have a problem.

Kyle

MommaofMany said...

One more reason that I haven;t been in a "Christian" bookstore for ages. I buy exactly what I want from Amazon or order it from my church bookstore.

Matthew 7:21 "Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven".

What are these girls learning of real Christianity?

Jamie Wooddell said...

That's awful! And where are the parents of these teens hiding?

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah! My kids would never be allowed to read such a thing! I think it is horrible!

I am assuming the creators of the magazine had good intentions...?

Ginger said...

Let's hope so, Jeff. Unfortunately good intentions w/o wisdom don't do anyone any good.

Anonymous said...

Disgusting junk!!!

Good intentions?!? There's an old adage that goes like this...

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Most likely the creators of this twaddle had no intentions except profit!

This really gets under my skin! It's junk. Don't be a junkie! :-)
Krista

Anonymous said...

Okay, maybe I was a little harsh!
This is not for my daughters. But, am I jumping to conclusions too fast? Is this meeting someone where they are? Maybe this magazine was intended for totally unchurched, completely alone young ladies who don't have anyone anywhere praying for them or protecting them or training them. I don't know...

I do know it disturbs me that watered down, weak stuff like this is promoted as Gospel and biblical truth!

Krista

Ginger said...

You had it right the first time, Krista. Don't apologize for feeling strongly about a watered down Bible.

Heather Hamilton said...

This is coming from one of those young women who was as Krista said, "...unchurched, completely alone young ladies who don't have anyone anywhere praying for them or protecting them or training them."

I wasn't "totally" unchurched. I was exposed, but definitely not protected and trained. I acknowledged Jesus as my Savior at a young age, but I didn't know the depth of that decision.

I too do not like the watering down of the Word, and I am certainly against this literature if it is comprimising the solid truth.

I will say it seems to have good intentions; they just missed the mark! As a teen I was intimidated by the Bible. I tried many times to attempt to read it. I was also too shy and embarassed to reach out to get anyone's guidance on sexual issues. I would have benefitted from a "Biblezine" such as this IF, and only if, the answers to the questions were not comprimising the truth! It breaks my heart that is the case, because it has the potential to serve many young women well. This type of material will not be for my daughter either, because I will train and disciple her (and any more daughters God blesses me with).