Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Deceiving Children

Last night at dinner, Kyle asked the kids if they knew how far away the moon is. They guessed 10,000 feet away. He then announced that he's been offered a job on the moon. This launched (ha ha) a discussion about what it would be like to live on the moon. I jumped right in, convincing the kids that this was indeed true. Kyle said that real estate is very cheap on the moon, so we could get a really big house. Unfortunately, pets are not allowed, so we had to come up with a solution for Misha. No problem. Pedro would have to stay on earth in order to finish college, so he could take care of Misha for us.
After about 15 minutes of this discussion, Maya said: "Ok, you gotta put a stop to this moon business!"
When I cracked a teeny tiny smile, Isaac said: "I saw that smile! I know what that smile means!!"

I'm curious: Have you ever deceived, fibbed, or told a tall tale to your kids?
Do tell.

5 comments:

Diane said...

We do it all the time. It's just so easy! We're a family of practical jokers. I figure it's either totally damaging their psyches or it's teaching them not to believe everything they hear or read. I choose to believe the latter for the sake of my own guilt, haha.

Annee said...

We tease our children like this ALL the time. I announced the other day that Miss E had to get a job because groceries we getting to expensive. She believed me for a little bit and said she wanted to work at a hot sauce factory :)

mommy4 said...

NEVER!! YOU MEAN MOTHER!!

mommy4 said...

OK, OK, I was just kidding!! We joke with them a lot but unfortunatley Avery believes every word that proceeds from her daddy's mouth! Sometimes there are tears.

MommaofMany said...

Life would be boring without such teasing!