Monday, August 4, 2008

How We Met


Way back in 1995, Kyle and I met in our college & career class at church. I was the activities director and made announcements every week for our upcoming social events. Kyle was quiet, preppy, and good-looking! He had just moved to town from Oklahoma. That's about all I knew about him.

A friend of mine, Rick, organized monthly outreach trips to the juvenile detention center. Our next trip was coming up soon and Rick found a Christian rapper (aka hip hop artist) to come and perform for the teens. Rick called me to tell me that I should make sure Kyle knew about our outreach because he "likes rap too". (I was a huge fan of DC Talk and other Christian rap artists.)
So, I called Kyle. Young ladies, do not imitate me in this. Girls should not be calling boys. But I digress. As soon as I introduced myself, Kyle said: I was just about to call you!
Me??? Why??? (Big grin on my face at this point.)
"I wanted to ask you out."
(HUGE grin on my face now.)

So, Kyle went with us on our trip to the juvenile detention center, but he was so shy, I didn't really get to know him much. [Side note: as a child, I was painfully shy, but by the time I was in college, no one would have ever guessed that!] The next day, Kyle took me out on another college & career event: Broomball at the local ice skating rink. No one knew we were on a date, and that made it pretty fun. Kyle was still quite shy, but I got him to talk. I just didn't give up. I wouldn't let him stay quiet for too long.

[Another side note: As I'm typing this, Kyle is laughing in the kitchen. He said: "Chloe is definitely your daughter, Ginger!" (The two of them were in the kitchen alone as he made her lunch.) "She's waiting on me to make her lunch and she said: Daddy, talk to me." So he asked her, "About what?" "Anything," she replied.]
At the end of our broomball date, Kyle said: That was a lot of fun. We should do that again.
That sounded like a line to me, so I got bold: "Great! When?"

Kyle told me later that if I hadn't asked that, he probably wouldn't have asked me out again. He didn't think I'd had a good time with him.

So, we owe DC Talk a huge debt of gratitude for bringing Kyle and I together. If it weren't for Christian hip hop, we might never have gotten together. (That's a joke. I'm being facetious.) Maybe we owe our marriage to the fact that I recovered from childhood shyness. lol



2 comments:

Janelle said...

What a great story. :)

The Herd said...

Kyle shy????? Funny!
Good thing he found a not so shy one!!