Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Stroller-Less

For the past year and a half, I've gone everywhere with at least one stroller: a double stroller, or two strollers. Partly because I didn't trust Daniel and Lydia to behave without the restraint of my beloved strollers and partly because I'm a control freak. (Was that actually two different reasons??)

In the last several months, the double stroller got too bulky to push with two heavy toddler in tow. Then I discovered the joys of two single strollers, both pushed by an older sibling. I got to walk hands-free! What joy! What freedom!

Well, yesterday, I took the six to the library and I didn't use the strollers. Everybody held someone's hands- their buddy. Lydia was my buddy, as she is still learning the value of not letting go. Daniel was holding hands with Elena and Isaac.

No strollers! It was amazing, I tell you. I can't believe I can go places without a stroller. What a day! I had a big smile on my face walking through the library. You should have been there.

10 comments:

Rachel Marie said...

Wow! I can hardly imagine the day I go anywhere without my stroller!

musicmommy3 said...

Yeah Ginger!!

dkt said...

That's great! Where'd ya put the books though? I push a toddler into the library and bring a stack of books back out! LOL! I'm not sure I would venture the library without it! :-) Congratulations on being stroller free! Looking forward to it myself!

mommy4 said...

WOW!! I remember claerly the day I stopped using my double stroller. those things can be so bulky and hard to control. WOOHOOO!!

MommaofMany said...

Yes, the freedom is wonderful! We are sans diaper bag, too, which lightens the load even more! This is the first time I do not have a diapered child in 12 years! Even the kids I babysit are 3 and up!
.
.
.
Is it wrong miss strollers, diapers bags and even diapers?

Ginger said...

dkt,

I have a rolling crate that goes with us whenever we hit the library. It's almost always full when we leave. ;)

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous picture of you and your precious family! I'm sure you will enjoy the freedom of no stroller. I too look forward to that day!

ASHTON said...

whooo hoo! the duoglider is like a tank to push around with a baby and a toddler. I can't imagine 2 toddlers!! You must have some massive arm stregnth! Enjoy the strollerless-ness!

Julie said...

What fun. I love the buddy system. My kids walk behind me with their partner. Jonathan holds my hand. Of course we always talk about one day Jonathan having a partner. ;)

Julie said...

Oh yeah and I forgot. Weaning from the stroller was a lot easier with my active baby then with his older brother. We were at a zoo somewhere with my older son and I wanted to take a picture. He was almost 3. He pitched a fit when I took him out of the stroller and cried the rest of the way through the zoo because I would not put him back in. That was pretty much the end of his stroller days. LOL Jonathan could not wait to get out of the stroller though.