Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Team Tidy

I took the kids to a Homeschool Park Day a few days ago with a friend of mine and her kids. I met several other moms that are in the same homeschool association. One of the moms recognized my name from the newsletter articles she had read of mine. She told her friend: She's the Delegator Mom!
Oh my! Is that really the legacy I want to leave? HA!
When it comes to getting the house tidied up before hubby comes home from work, this Delegator Mom gets down to business. I give everybody their own specific job:

Chloe, you're in charge of books. Make sure all the library books are in the crate and all our books are on the shelf.

Isaac, you're in charge of shoes. Get all these shoes out of the den and in their closets.

Maya, I need you to tidy up the dining room. You're so good at the details.

Daniel, you help Maya. You're the pencil man. Look for all the pencils and crayons and put them away.

Elena, you're in charge of the dishes. Empty the dish drainer and make sure there's no dirty dishes anywhere.

Lydia, you come with me and we'll pretty ourselves up for Daddy. I'll fix your hair after I get myself looking better.

When we get home from the grocery store (and no, I don't take everyone. This is quality time. One kid comes with me), everybody gets their own job to get all the groceries put away in record time. (Not that I'm timing it or anything, but I'm not above it!)
Isaac is the can man. He puts away all the stuff that belongs in the "big pantry". Maya puts away the produce, because I can trust her with it. Chloe puts away the meats and cheeses. Daniel puts away all the grocery bags. Elena puts away anything that goes in the "little pantry". I put away the snack foods because they don't need to know where I store that stuff.

By the way, when I only had two kids, I used this method to teach them how to clean up their rooms. I would sit on their bed and say: First, put away all the books. Now, put away all the shoes. Ad nauseum until it's all tidied up. This taught the kids how to break down an overwhelming task into manageable bits.

3 comments:

Bones said...

Good ideas I can use!

MommaofMany said...

Delegator Mom...I like that! It's a good legacy! I always tell me Lambies that many hands make light work. The chores get done quickly around here, too!

Nealy said...

Okay, I'm seriously beginning to think you should take this gig on the road. You crack me up! I can't think of any comediennes who are mothers of seven, who are still sane, and who still have a terrific sense of humor!