Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Hurry Up & Get Serious




Two years ago, I posted this. And just yesterday, I got this comment on it:

I'd enjoy hearing an update as to what this looked like for you this month.

Admittedly, there are things I've blogged about that worked for us once upon a time but no longer do. Quality time is one that we have kept up, thankfully. Generally, when we go shopping, we only take one child. This is when we have private talks with that child.
A good friend who heard the Duggars speak at the recent Baby Conference, shared this wisdom with me: Go deep fast. Don't waste time on chit-chat with your kids.

I have taken this advice to heart and have begun asking pointed questions as soon as we are both buckled up. Questions like:

What are you struggling with lately?
What temptations are you having a hard time with?
Are you getting along with your siblings?
Who are you having a hard time getting along with?
Is there anything you'd like to tell me about?

If you have any other good probing questions, I'd love to hear them!

2 comments:

jmlyons said...

Hi Ginger! I have been thinking about this - I need to do more of getting to the serious part. May parents are still not good at that, so I sometimes stay on surface. Here are some questions I just got in the mail from our high school youth pastor. I think they are worth sharing:

What has God been teaching you lately?

What feelings have you been feeling lately (pain, fear, love, joy, anger, guilt, shame)?

What thoughts have been dominating you lately?

What blessings have been evident to you lately?

What convictions have been evident to you lately?

What ‘awesome things’ have happened lately that you ‘do not want to forget’?

What ‘beautiful moments’ have happened lately that have made you ‘praise God’?

How can we pray for you?

Dakota said...

Blatently stolen from Vacation Schooling and John Holt:

What do you want to learn more about?