Monday, May 21, 2012

Book Review: Momumental


I received this book from Worthy Publishing to review. Momumental is labeled as a Christian Life book for women, but I'm not really sure why. I didn't read a single reference to scripture in the first half of the book. It is intended to be an encouragement for moms, sort of a "This is hard and I have crazy days just like you, but don't quit, it's worth it all!" kind of theme. And I would have really loved it except for the fact that I'm a Christian. 
The author mentions by name several TV shows and movies, all which glorify premarital and extramarital sex and sexual innuendo as it's main source of humor. Frankly, I was not only disappointed, I was stunned. 
Our work as mothers requires minute-by-minute dying to self, sacrificing our convenience for the sake of taking the time to disciple and train our children, and learning to keep our mouths shut when patience and compassion are more needed than efficiency. As much as we may enjoy laughing at the things we all experience, it doesn't give us the gas we need to keep going. Scripture alone has that power. 

When you need encouragement, go the Word of God. When you need to know you're not alone, go to the Word of God. When you need wisdom, go to the One who promises it to you if you only ask. 

There are plenty of edifying parenting books. This isn't one of them.

No comments: