Friday, July 6, 2012

Why I Make Lists


I have a little spiral notebook that follows me everywhere. It's my brain on paper. I don't write the day, I just write down my to-do's as I think of them. Then I check them off as I do them, regardless of order. The reason I don't write down the day is because then I feel like I'm behind if I don't get to something. If I don't declutter the game closet today, I won't be behind. There's no deadline for that, I just want to get it done.
Things that are recurring go on my Cozi calendar, like starting my laundry Monday morning. I don't need that on my list because I'll get an email reminding me anyway.
Things I do write down: projects that need doing, people I need to call (I'll get distracted 100 times a day and forget to call if I don't write it down), people I need to email (ditto), things I need to buy/order, and places I need to go.
All day my notebook sits next to me on my desk or at the school table (aka dining table) and I take to my room at night so I can write down things I need to remember for the next day.
I can't imagine how scatter-brained I'd be without my paper brain handy.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Ditto for me too! :)

MommaofMany said...

My husband can't understand why I don't use the note feature on my phone to keep my lists on. It's just so much easier to have a pad of paper and pen nearby and jot when I think of something! Also, I feel more accomplished by actually scratching off an item. I guess you and I are just old-fashioned!!