Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Homeschooling with a Toddler

Homeschooling with a 2-year-old around is not easy! It took me the whole first month of school to figure out, through trial and error, a schedule that would work with Julia present. The good news is: I did figure it out!
I separate our kids into pairs that are on the same level: Maya and Isaac are on the same level. Pretty much everything they're doing is the same. Elena and Chloe are on the same level. They're working through different math books, but otherwise everything else is the same. (Same history books, same literature, same language arts - I did it this way on purpose.) Daniel and Lydia are on the same level also. They're both in first grade. Daniel is learning to read (online) and Lydia is reading. (I did this on purpose to. I see no reason to teach two kids to read at the same time if I don't have to. Been there done that, thankyouverymuch.)
So while I work with Maya and Isaac on the subjects they need me for, Elena takes care of Julia, and everyone does their independent school work
While I work with Elena and Chloe on the subjects they need me for, Maya takes care of Julia, and everyone else does their independent school work .
While I do school with Daniel and Lydia, Isaac takes care of Julia, and everyone else does their independent school work.
The afternoon is set apart for chores. I came to the conclusion some time ago that we couldn't keep the house clean AND do school at the same time. So the house pretty much stays a mess until school is done. I like a clean house, but I also like finishing school while the sun is still up. ;)

1 comment:

LorettaS said...

I LOVE this!!!!!!!

Loretta